Sex with a 16 year old


Is it illegal for a 34 year old man to date a 16 year old girl? As her parent what rights do I have to stop it? Can the 34 year old male get into trouble if he has sex with the 16 year old even if it is consensiual?

In Kansas, the age you can no longer be a victim of statutory rape is 16.

As a parent, you have the authority to go to the police department and file a complaint; however, in this situation, given the age of the minor, there may be no criminal violation for the police to investigate based on the sexual relationship alone. It would be up to police to make that determination.

If your city police have a squad or unit that deals with sexual predators, it may be good to speak to someone within that unit to alert them to this activity. It may also be in your best interests to seek advice of an attorney. Even though the 34 year old may not be violating the statutory rape law in Kansas, there may be other violations occurring. A parent has legal protective authority over their minor children until they turn 18 or until a court says otherwise.

If your local authorities hands are tied, there may be something that can be done on a civil law basis. A local attorney would be able to assist you in making that determination.


Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 06/02/2011 - 11:27.

I have a 16 year old daughter who at the age of 12 turned me into the kearney county police dept for physical abuse which was found to be unsubstanciated and a total lie on her part to get the attention off of her being busted having sex with a 16 year old at the time. That was in 2007. Last evening she called the Edwards county sherriff dept. and did the same thing but this time it was because i refuse to let her live with or date a 45 year old man.About 4 months prior I had talked to a sherriff to see what i could do legally to keep him away from her , and he said my hands were tied, but when she moved in with him i talked to the prosecuting attorney and he said she was a child in need of care, an abandoned child!!!! the 45 year old is a bar owner and had my daughter working at the bar as a cook until 2 am.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 03/15/2011 - 19:43.

I know a 52 yr old man, that has been sexting a 16 yr old girl. Is this illegal?

Submitted by dangerzone007us (not verified) on Mon, 01/10/2011 - 19:33.

If an adult wants to sleep with a child., I think not only have them arrested, but another peice of advice is to sue them in civil court.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/24/2008 - 13:11.

I just read that as a parent I can stop a 24 year old from having sex with my 17 year old daughter.I have called the police and they keep saying its ok since she is legal sex age.They refuse to help me on this and when I talk to the police they go right to the 24 year old and tell him what I have said.I turned him in for driving my daughters car without a drivers license.The police told him I turned him in.Isn't that illegal for the police to do?They also keep telling my daughter she can move in with the guy and I can't stop her.I want to know if I can do something to stop this.
I live in Lyons Kansas.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/24/2011 - 21:00.

Yes get the police mans badge number next time and file a complaint

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 22:01.

By law the person being accused of ANY crime guilty or not has the right to know who's accusing them and of what. I did not know this before I filled out a report against my best friends boyfriend for beating her and he found out my information somehow. I then did some research and was told he got the information by looking at a copy of the report which is totally legal in the state of Kansas.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 10/27/2009 - 14:24.

Good ol' Lyons Police Department... They don't care, because most of them are guilty of this crap too... I know I saw a 17year old friend screw all but one of the cops on the force here in Lyons, they were buying her booze, and cigarettes and screwing her while on duty in the cruisers my tax dollars paid for. Good ol Lyons P.D. BAGS.

Submitted by dunsailn on Thu, 04/24/2008 - 21:26.

It is possible to legally prevent an adult from having contact with your minor child; however, it may take a court order and may require that you seek the help of a local attorney. City and county procedures vary greatly across the nation and we simply don't have resources to research all of these. We stick mainly to the State laws.

As far as the police telling him who turned him in, this may be a matter of public record.

In some states, run away teens at the age of 17 fall under a "civil" violation rather than a "criminal" violation. This means Police usually can't or won't use resources on them to pick them up and return them home unless the parents have obtained a court order to do so.

It may be in your best interests to seek out a local attorney for these questions. If she is missing school, or if the 24 your old is contributing to her delinquency, i.e. smoking, drinking, drugs, etc... there may be other laws being violated. A local attorney could advise you on this.

Our research is generally on state criminal laws. The age of consent in Kansas is 16 which means police could not arrest the 24 year old for sexual contact with a minor unless the 24 year old is a teacher or employee of the schools.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
More information about formatting options