What if Parent's Consent to relationship?


I have a daughter she is 16 years old. She is dating this boy that is 18 years old. They are not having sex from what I hear. But I was wondering if they do, will the boy still get introuble if I know about it, and I aprove of it? That is what my daughter is trying to tell me but I dont know if thats true.

NEW: updated - 05/11/08 (See comment section at bottom of page)

The legal age of consent in Illinois is 17. This is a state law.

If I understand the question correctly, you are wondering if by giving parental consent, the 18 year old would be safe from criminal prosecution. No, He will not. A parents consent will not overide state law and make an illegal act, legal. At 18, he is an adult subject to follow the same laws as all other adults citizens in the State of illinois.


(720 ILCS 5/11-6) (from Ch. 38, par. 11-6)
Sec. 11-6. Indecent solicitation of a child.

(a) A person of the age of 17 years and upwards commits the offense of indecent solicitation of a child if the person, with the intent that the offense of aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, or aggravated criminal sexual abuse be committed, knowingly solicits a child or one whom he or she believes to be a child to perform an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct as defined in Section 12-12 of this Code.

(b) Definitions. As used in this Section:

"Solicit" means to command, authorize, urge, incite, request, or advise another to perform an act by any means including, but not limited to, in person, over the phone, in writing, by computer, or by advertisement of any kind.

"Child" means a person under 17 years of age.

(c) Sentence. Indecent solicitation of a child is:

    (1) a Class 1 felony when the act, if done, would be predatory criminal sexual assault of a child or aggravated criminal sexual assault;

    (2) a Class 2 felony when the act, if done, would be criminal sexual assault;

    (3) a Class 3 felony when the act, if done, would be aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 08/22/2012 - 21:54.

My gf is sixteen and pregnant with my baby, I just turned twenty and I want to know if I can get in trouble for putting my name on the birth certifacate?
And this is in the state of Illinois

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 08/02/2012 - 10:57.

I'm trying to prove that Parental consent doesnt work for anyone under the age of 16 for anyone above 16-18.
In the state of washington is it legal for a 24 yr old guy to be with a 11 yr old girl with the consent of the parents?

Submitted by DA (not verified) on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 14:43.

The answer to your question is NO! Any 24 year old who has sexual interest in an 11 year old child, is a vile insect that needs to be squashed. What you are describing is a criminal sexual offense in any US State. Any parent proven to condone such a relationship would face child endangerment and neglect charges at a bare minimum. These are the types of cases any DA looks forward to prosecuting to the full extent of the law. Someone has to protect the best interests of the 11 year old, if not the parents, then it will be law enforcement.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 07/28/2012 - 00:23.

I've been talking with this guy for about 9 months now. we both really like each other but he's about to turn 20 next month & I'm turning 17 in 4 months. would it be legal if we dated and kissed/make out? I mean it's not like we're having sex.
(btw I live in Ca)

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/10/2012 - 13:03.

when my son was 19 (but mentally & physically he looked & acted 16 & related well to this age grp) this girl in which he thought was 16 or 17 because he was introduced to her by friends that age & she hung out with & she looked & acted older & they lived in dif towns.My son had never been in serious relationship or had ever had had sex & they hung out for mths & from what i gathered her mom kinda knew but mths later this girl kept pushing him for sex & he told her he didnt feel ready but she said if he really loved her he would,so it happened then she tells him shes 14 & he freaks out & tells me & i tell him has to stop & it did for 2 wks then she started calling nonstop & saying she was gna kill herself & i told her to stop because he would get in trouble not her & she told me they loved each other & they felt age shouldnt matter like when gma married gpa & they were 13 & 22 but not these days,so she started sneaking out to see him but no sex again & he felt if she would kill herself he couldnt live with himself,needless to say he went to jail & her father pushed til he went to prison.Now this girl is seeing a 19yr old & her fathers allowing it & she claims she spends night with him at his apt,so why is my son in prison & his life ruined cause he has to register while this girl still seeing another older guy with her fathers permission?Can i file a suit against this man?i feel these girls need to be held accountable too because they pursue these older guys & the guys go to jail & these girls roam freely to keep doing it and i think parents should be held acountable too since they must not know what their underage girls are doing & think their angels when in fact these girls mature sooner these days & know more about sex then we did as kids and they are pursuers but just because of their age their considered innocent children well not when lying & spending night with older guys our laws are not fair i feel the maturity level & if consensual should be a factor & these girls also know right from wrong by the age of 13.any suggestions?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 05/22/2012 - 18:43.

If some one were to be 14 year old girl and be inpregnated by a 19 year old boy and they are exactly 4 years apart, with parental consent would he go to jail or get into any legal troulbe if they were to put him on their child's birth certificate? Even if he was willing to help the child and the mother with everything.
In the state of Arizona

Submitted by concerned (not verified) on Sat, 05/12/2012 - 19:30.

last fall my daughter was 17 and this 24 year old unknowingly to me started a relationship...when aprroached for approval...I emphatically rejected the idea..thought the relationship ended...it has come to my attention my daughter has been secretly seeing this 24year old...was informed by her friends that she had sex with this man when she was 17 but still to this day, now being 18 for 3 months, denies she is even having sex with him now....both her dad and I are still emphatically not giving our approval for the relationship even though she is 18.....Is there any way or anything we can do to press charges against this man?

Submitted by Greenberg (not verified) on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 13:50.

No there is not. At 17 your daughter could legally consent to having sex with any other willing adult. The fact that you dislike him/ disagree with your daughter's choice is really all in vain. Unless you can prove they had sex before 17, you can't do anything about it because there is no law being broken.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 05/07/2012 - 19:09.

I'm in the state of Utah if a 15 year old girl lives with her 18 year boyfriend under her mothers roosideredf and her mother gives consent is this still considered statutory rape??

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 06/07/2012 - 05:41.

What is the Age of Consent for Sex in Utah?

Utah is among the few U.S. states which have set separate ages of consent for men and women. For women, the age of consent in Utah is 16. For men, it is 18. However, for women between the ages of 16 and 18, there are some restrictions. No person under the age of 18, male or female, can legally consent to sex with a person who is more than 10 years older than the minor.

In Utah, a minor aged 14 or 15 can legally consent to have sex with a person who is less than 4 years older.

No person under the age of 14 can legally consent to sex, and having sex with someone aged 14 or younger is a fairly serious crime in Utah.

Utah’s age of consent laws only apply to heterosexual conduct. Utah currently has no valid statute which governs the age of consent for homosexual acts, so it is not clear exactly what the age of consent for such conduct is.

Violations of these laws generally carry prison sentences in the 5 year range.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 04/27/2012 - 04:30.

Hello. I am 15. Turning 16 next month. I am in a relationship with a 21 year old. If we had sexual intercourse and I became pregnant, could he get into any trouble? My parents gave consent, as did his. So my parents said " you guys can have sex". I live with my mother and step father. My mom has full custody of me and has had since I was three. My biological father lives in Chicago and I'm not sure if he would be happy with the situation, but he wouldn't take any action against my 21 year old boyfriend. So I guess what I'm asking is.. if I am pregnant by a 21 year old, and both of my legal parents give consent, could anything happen to him? Please help me. I need a legit answer asap. Thank you. (I live in the State of Il)

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 04/09/2012 - 19:20.

When I was 15 I signed over guardianship to my little girl under the conditions I would get her back when I was 18 and the father of my child
Wouldn't go to jail because he was 18. I agreed to it and we moved and later on in my pregnancy I found out it wasn't til she was 18 and they kicked me out when she was 11 months old because I was talking
To her father and they found out. A year and a half ago they came down for a visit for a so called business trip and in that dinner they tolde
That they were on their way to Arizona as they speak only taking clothes and leaving all the furniture and everything aside. I want to know
What I can do to get her back and if the contract is voided since they moved out without my consent. I am 20 years old now. Also the guardianship papers state that I was 16 when I signed it and I was actually 15 years old and the dates would add up. Is that considered false documentation? Isn't there something about a minor being influenced to make a decision without knowing what they really are doing? I live in IL currently.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 02/23/2012 - 21:30.

my daughter had went with a boy for the last 14 months. they are not together any longer but she is 15 now and he 19. in july 2011 she came to me and said that she had sex with this boy in fear of him leaving her if she didnt. she was 14 and he was 18 at the time. does this consititute grounds for statutory rape even though she consented to it?? if i can press charges how long do i have to do this?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 12/05/2011 - 08:06.

Can a person under the age of conscent get in trouble , if they are kissing/makingout with a person over the age of conscent?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 10/22/2011 - 18:57.

I'm 17 right now and I'm dating a girl who is 15. In February she turns 16 and in March I turn 18. We don't do anything, just date. Could I still get in trouble

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/03/2011 - 21:41.

I'm 17 and my now fiancee and I have a 2mo old son. We are currently living with my parents but want to move out on our own. Legally can we do that?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 07/28/2011 - 15:17.

What if a adult is going out with an underage teen but the mother knows and she's okay with it...and the guys are not having sex
And if its more of a friendship?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 06/09/2011 - 10:46.

I am 22 and In love with a 16 yr old girl. We live in Illinois and the age of consent is 17. We have been in love for years but have never done anything about it. She is afraid that even tho we are going to wait till marriage to have sex that I can be sent to jail. Her parents both consent to us having a relationship but her step father is afraid I can also be sent to jail. If there is no sexual acts taking place is there any legal grounds for an arrest and possibly jail time

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 12/14/2011 - 00:15.

The state plays a very serious game concerning jurisdiction (power to judge), especially when dealing with state constructed statutes. The state uses the fictional term "person" when constructing criminal statutes. This is because the state is an artificial person with no actual authority over natural human beings (Church of Scientology v. U.S. Dept. of Justice, 612 F.2d. 417) God created "man" and he is sovereign over states (Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 417, 455-465)and their statutes (Wison v. Omaha Indian Tribe, 442 U.S. 653) Black's Law Dictionary, 4th Ed. pg. 1300 states that Natural (biological) people are not 'persons' in most statutes. It is extremely important to understand that neither the Federal Constitution nor Illinois Constitution expressly provides for any statutory jurisdicton. You have to be tricked into it. (U.S. v. Minker, 350 U.S. 179 at 187.)Read all the state constructed criminal statutes and you will find the subtle practice of using 'person' as oppose to "man" "woman" "natural person" "human being" "boy" or "girl." This is done on purpose. They speak of everyone knowing the law; however, they repeatedly use the fictional term "legal" which is distinct from "law." (Black's Law Dictionary, 4th Ed.)Basically, states have no statutory jurisdiction over natural, flesh and blood human beings because it did not create humans. As long as you do not infringe on the natural rights of others you cannot be lawfully charged with offenses alleged against natural people by the state. (Hale v. Henkle, 201 U.S. 43 at 47.)You are required to keep the law not to be legal. In essence, you are required by God to love your neighbor as yourself (Lev. 19:18)The current practice of the legal system has resulted in numerous wrongful convictions nationwide. However, as we are all sovereigns over the state we are not sovereign over each other. Therefore, only a human can file a complaint against another human. This is not termed "crime" but a "tort." If your girlfriend or her parents ever decide to hold you accountable for what they perceive as offenses against the rights of your girlfriend (life, liberty, property (including body & name)or to pursue happiness) then they may file suit against you in a court of common law. (General Jurisdiction) It is important to note that all parties to litigation have a right to an Art. III Sec. 2 court (Commodity Futures Trading Commission v. Schor, 478 U.S. 833) under the Federal Constitution applicable to the states (Art. I Sec. 9 under the Illinois Constitution)via the 14th Amendment. Having stated the actual law applicable to criminal cases, which affects the liberty rights of people and not persons, your dilema is one of moral law. Continue to refrain from pre-marital sex. This is pleasing to God, and taught under the commmon law, which is the supreme law of the land (United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649). Evidence of the sovereignty of God-made humans (man) is that their rights and privleges are not owed to any constitution or legislative act (Hodges v. U.S., 203 U.S. 1.)Remember also, that marriage is not in the letter of the law (statutes)but in your heart. For therein is true committment. Resist the devil and he will flee.(James 4:7) God bless you always.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 06/01/2011 - 21:27.

My 20 year old son has been dating a girl five years younger than him for over a year. Her parents not only condone the relationship but encourage it. They are pushing her to live with him when he gets out of military training in Missouri. I feel that marriage would be a better choice so he will not get in trouble for statutory rape. They plan to transport her to Missouri for the purpose of wedding him in July. Will this marriage be recognized as legal in our home state of Tennessee? The age of marriage with parental consent is 16 in Tn and 15 in Missouri.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 01/07/2011 - 16:03.

so if the boy is 18 and the girl is 17, which is the age of consent in Illinois, she can LEGALLY have sex with this 18 year old since she has reached the age of consent? or is it still illegal because she is still under 18 ?
basically, does the age of consent only apply to people under age 17? or does it become an exception to having sex with the 18 year old ?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/27/2010 - 08:51.

is it legal for an eighteen year old to date a sixteen year old with parents permission if they are not having sex?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 12/14/2011 - 00:26.

Under Illiois law, I would not bet on it.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/06/2010 - 22:10.

I have a daughter who was 17 when ge got pregnant and 18 when she had my grandbaby, the daddy was 23 at the time. Now we have a son who is 19 and his girlfriend is pregnant. My question is can he be charged with anything since her dad may push the issue but she told him she would move out if he does. If she lives with me can that get anyone in trouble since my son does not live with me? What kind of advice can ayone give me i am in the dark here and it was so easy to deal with before with my daughter. HELP

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 10:36.

My now 17 year old stepdaughter conceived and delivered a baby at the age of 16 by her 21 year old boyfriend. Her mom has let them (step-daughter, boyfriend and baby) move in with her and now her mom is threating to have him arrested for statutory rape if they try to move out and take the baby with them back down to Shelbville to love with his mom. Can her mom do this???

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 07/11/2009 - 20:58.

I am 18 and my girlfriend is 15 her parents gave us the ok to date. I was 17 at the time of consent and i turned 18 on june 12 of 2009 me and her had sex and she consent to it can i go 2 jail if her parents want to press charges against me?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 12/13/2011 - 18:33.

yes you can go to jail also some states do have no statue of limatation they could arrest you any time in your life

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 10/22/2010 - 21:21.

If she is under 18,yes you can go to jail, but look at the state laws, some states say it's ok to have sex at 16 as long as the other party is no more then 4-5 years older, or above 18

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 03/10/2011 - 21:14.

also htere parents can be charged as well for fasilitating the relationship
if you were to ever get charged they will be facing the same charges
so if u get charged with a class c felony they also can be charged with a class c felony in most states

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 01/16/2009 - 21:38.

My son is 16 and girlfriend 15. Mother allows him to sleep at her house. They have had sex, probably at the house. Is mother violating any laws and can she be held accountable if girl gets pregnant?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
More information about formatting options