Curious! Parents can still file report after I turn 18?


I'm an 18 yr old and just recently started dating a 30 yr old that i've known since i was 13. we met through our love for music & worked with eachother for 3 yrs. him being the producer/manager & my sister and i being singers. We've always talked on the phone, spent time together workin & just really clicked with eachother. but due 2 the age difference never said or did anything of it until just recently. well my mom has always had a problem with how close i was with him & now that she found out im actually seein him shes sayin that shes gunna go to the cops & have him arrested for statutory rape because she thinks it has been goin on this whole time because we've always communicated on the phone just abt every night for hours. so as proof shes gettin my phone records. so i was just wondering if she would be able to press statutory rape charges on him now?

This is a tough question. A lot would depend on how compelling your Mom's information is to the police and the District attorney (DA). The age difference is a red flag. Your Mom can't press criminal charges against him. She can only file a police report, or complaint naming him as the party to a crime against her minor child; the police will either open an investigation, or they will drop it. If they do a preliminary investigation and find compelling evidence, the District Attorney may open a case.

In Texas, the statutory rape law is called "Indecency with a child" and it falls under the special statute of limitations laws (below) for sexual offenses. "The statute of limitations for certain offenses against minors is a period of 10 years after the victim reaches age 18.

If the 30 year old has never had any arrests or allegations of this kind against him and the phone calls and other activities can be explained under his manager/agent status as part of the professional working relationship, he probably won't have anything to worry about. If police ever want to question him, it would be in his best interest to have an attorney present.

Your Mom has the right as the parent to make her suspicions known and file a report with police if she believes a crime was committed against her minor child.

The statute of limitations for certain offenses against a minor is a period within 10 years after the victim reaches age 18. The offenses included are:

  • Indecency with a child
  • Intentional or knowing sexual assault of a child
  • Intentional or knowing aggravated assault of a child
  • Generally, the statute of limitations for a felony is 3 years after commission of the offense.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 08/17/2012 - 13:45.

Hi I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 28 is it still illegal if we aren't even having sex ?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 08/08/2012 - 23:02.

My boyfriend just recently turned 18 and I will be turning 17 in about a month. My dad has suspicions that we are having sexual intercourse. He keeps telling me that if my boyfriend does have sexual intercourse with a minor(me), he could face 20 years to life in a penitentiary. But I was thinking since we are only 1 year, 2 months, and 22 days apart in age we could fall under the Romeo and Juliet Law if we ever need to cross that bridge. We live in Virginia and I know the age of consent is 18 but nowhere does it state the age difference requirement for the Romeo and Juliet Law.

1) If we first started having intercourse before he turned 18 would the charges be as severe for him? And would we both be charged with the class 4 misdemeanor of fornication?

2) Could you fill me in on the details for the Romeo and Juliet Law in Virginia and maybe possible loopholes for this kind of situation?

Submitted by Wolfgang (not verified) on Thu, 08/02/2012 - 21:40.

Hello, I've been dating this girl for about a month. She's rad and we have so much stuff in common. I'm 21 and she turns 18 in 3 weeks. We've done nothing but just kiss because I'm not 100 percent sure what the consent law is in Ca. but I'm pretty sure it's strict just like every other law in this uptight state. Her parents are aware of the tiny gap in age difference and are totally cool with it but I don't wanna get in trouble and be labeled as something I'm definitely not. We have strong feelings for each other and are having a difficult time holding off. What is the age of consent and shouldn't there be an age gap allowance of 2-3 years? 16-18 17-19? 'Cause I've seen people in relationships who are only one year apart and they feel like they have to stop seeing each other because one is 16 1/2 and the other just turned 18 or one is 17 and the other just turned 18. There should really be an allowance for already established relationships and stuff.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/31/2012 - 17:53.

im 16 years old and my boyfriend is 28 and we have a child. my dad consents in it but cps got envolved when i went to the hospital to have out son... my question is can we get married in the state of texas with parent consent with an open cps case?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 15:07.

If im pregnant by and older man and im under age can i put his last name on the birth certificate without him getting in trouble?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 11:05.

ok so im 17 and my fiance recently turned 19. my parents are seriously overly protective. ill be 18 in 2 months. if i turn 18 b4 they find out that im pregnant, can they still press charges ?? If they were to not find out until like 6 months later, could they still have a case ?? and if so would my fiance have to do time ? and how much ?? if so, is there anything i can do to provent him from doing time ??

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/10/2012 - 19:07.

I got pregnant just a week or two before i turned 18 my mom doesnt know this yet but she has had a problem with my relationship midway through it. at first she didnt say anything and let it happen but now suddendly she has had a change of heart. Anyway, she has my old cell phone which has texts and pictures of the man im with, she has threatened to go to the police with it and put him in jail. What is the statue of limitations for statutory rape in Oregon? Can she still go to the police even though im 18? is there anything i can do about it?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 07/08/2012 - 12:12.

My son is 18 years old and his girlfriend is about to turn 17 in a couple months. they say they havent had sex so can her dad still try to get my son for statutory rape?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 06/12/2012 - 18:32.

OK so i been dating my girlfriend for almost 2 months when I first met her she was 15 so we didn't even bother trying to create a relationship but now she is 17 and we went to her mom for approval to date and for the first couple weeks it was going good but now her mom is having thoughts this poses a serious problem for us because we have had sex and we think that she may be pregnant is there a way for us to wait it out for these 3 months and she will be of age and are we OK under the law of age of consent because she is 17 and im 21 plz help

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 01:35.

Hi i live in the state of California and i got pregnant at 17 around November a month beforeore i turned 18 in December but my boyfriend was already 22. when my parents found out they were furious and wanted to press charges but they didn't. they also forced me into having an abortion. its been 6 month since this happened. Now that time has passed i been wanting to move out because my relationship with my parents isn't the best but if i move out now can they still press charges on him? please i need help asap!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/31/2012 - 17:57.

even if they do press charges the police arent most going to waste the money on prosecuting him... so i dont think you have anything to worry about

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 12/27/2011 - 23:13.

If a 14 year old girl was dating a 29 year old male and they had a child when she was 14 but got married 8 years later only to end up divorced 1 year later, can she still file charges against him?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/31/2012 - 17:58.

it depends on what state you live in

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 12/04/2011 - 14:03.

My boyfriend is 22 and i am 17. My mom threatened to call the cops on him if i continue to talk to him. Can she do anything about it and will he get in trouble? we aren't sexually active yet. && can she do anything if i moved in with him before i turn 18 without her consent?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/12/2011 - 00:43.

Im just turned 18 and i met my boyfriend which is 23 a couple of months ago. Ive been dating older guys my whole life. like when i was 12 i was dating an 16 year old. when i was 16 i was talking to an 22 year old. so like i see all of these stories of underage females dating older men, i wouldnt want a girl to do so unless they are mentally and emotionally mature and can show their parents that they are ready for such a thing. because i was mentally mature and emotionally mature since i was 11. so to the guys that are older then their "girlfriends" please wait til they are ready and they can prove they are ready for someone mature and older. and WAIT TIL THEY ARE 18 atleast wait a month after their 18th birthday. Im tired of parents threatening men and their daughter about pressing charges. keep eachother hidden from the parent(s) until its safe to come out. and when it is pretend that its oh so new.
sorry just had to put my input.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 08/01/2011 - 23:36.

Hi my boyfriend is 22yr and i just turned 18yr three weeks ago. Someone reported it because im three motnhs pregnant...can they still file charges against him even though im 18yr? i live in california? would they have to take a prgnancy test to even charge him?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/12/2011 - 19:20.

ok... so im 17 and a junior. i ran away last week. i stayed with some amazing people and i was safe and taken care of. im back home now. and told my mother i planed on moving to texas with everyone when i turn 18, witch is in may. she told me that she will press charges against who i stayed with if i leave in may. can she still press charges on the people i stayed with after im 18? or will nothing happen?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 04:31.

I don't know what state you're in. But if it's Texas she cannot. The legal age for a child to forfiet the support a parent gives them is 16, although the parent is still held liable for the minors financial screw ups and legal screw ups. They also have to leave the option of the roof over your head open, along with other basic needs. They can have the police show up wherever you're staying, but if you simply state you want to remain there, nobody can force you to go back. The legal age for a parent to cut off support is 17, however they are again held responsible legally and financially unless the have an imancipation.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 11/05/2011 - 01:50.

Yes , she can still press charges because by allowing you to stay there they were contributing to the delinquency of a minor as well as harboring a runaway child. Since you were a minor at the time she can still press the charges.
Sorry this is really outdated , but I figured I would answer Anyways.

Submitted by certified (not verified) on Sun, 10/03/2010 - 23:53.

I am now a 25 year old male in a border town in Texas, when I was 23 I met my girlfriend which at the time was 15. I met her through her father which was a friend of mine. He suspected something between us even though there was no sexual contact and after 6 months into out relationship she went to live with her aunt in a border town on the Mexican side of the border. About a month later she convinced me to go visit her and I stayed in Mexico with her. By then I had her father's, mother's, and aunt's blessing to be with her since I showed my feelings by following her to another country. With that consent we started living together and engaged in sexual activities. After about four months we decided that Mexico was starting to get dangerous as you've probably seen on the news, so we came back to the United States only to find out that she was 3 month pregnant. I bought us a home and had our son on her due date. Three months later her dad's ex-girlfriend seeks vengeance on him for an act he committed and files a report with CPS that he consented to his 16 year old daughter living a 24 year old man. Now Cps won't let us have any contact at all including phone calls. I can't even see my son. Her family isn’t pressing charges but if her father lets us see each other they threatened with pressing charges on him. If I had consent from her family, is this right? Or I'm I wrong in believing in parental consent?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 07/09/2010 - 07:32.

From the time a parent find out if that the 45 year old man had sex with this 17 year old girl, what is the time frame of reporting this as a crime?

The 45 year-old male is perceived to have had sex with this minor as early as 16 years of age. These two are now married, can charges still be brought against the man for statutory rape of a minor?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 12/23/2009 - 10:21.

I am 21 years old dating a 17 year old girl. Her mom does not want her seeing me but has not threatened to press charges. We have done nothing but kiss as of right now. However, if we continue to see each other or have sexual entercourse, would her mom be able to get me or my girlfriend into trouble?

Also, her mom recently made her move out of town with relatives to finish school. My girlfriend wants to come visit me but her mom is still telling her not to. If my girlfriend comes to see me anyways, against her mom's decision, can my girlfriend get into trouble or is she allowed to make her own decisions now that she is 17?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 20:05.

My ex boyfriend wants to file statutory rape charges on me because he no longer wants to pay child support for our son. He wants me to drop all back child support or he will file charges against me. He was 16 at the time and I was 19.. It has been over 13 years. His mother and father knew how old I was and I never really knew how old he was because everybody in his family were telling me different ages, until he was asked for his birth date for our son's birth certificate. He doesn't visit or call or send anything to our son. He feels like he shouldn't have to pay for our son because in his eyes he was not responsbile for our child. We had been dating for about 3 to 4 years. Does he have ground to stand on? He wants to give up his rights but he wants me to pay for it and I am not going to pay for it. He cannot be allowed to get a free ride. What does it look like for me at this point. I am married now and have four more children.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 03/06/2009 - 00:48.

Hi i was wondering something im 22 going to turn 23 in nov and my girlfriend is 17 about to turn 18 in may. Her parents dont want us going out so they threatened to charge me with "solitation of a minor" What is the statute of limitations on this and CAN they file against me after she turns 18??

Submitted by dunsailn on Fri, 03/06/2009 - 07:01.

A person can no longer be a victim of statutory rape in Texas after reaching their 17th birthday.

Under Texas penal code - sexual offense laws, we found no law titled "solicitation of a minor". Texas Statutes - Penal Code

According to Texas Penal Code Chapter 21 Sexual Offenses 21.11 "Indecency with a child" - A person commits this offense if they have sexual contact with a child younger than 17 years of age and they are not the person's spouse, whether the child is of the same or opposite sex: This crime can be charged as first, second or third degree felony

Texas statute of limitations for felony sexual offenses would depend on the degree of the felony charge. It can range from NO limitation down to 3 years from the date of the commission of the offense.

Misdemeanors - An indictment or information for any misdemeanor may be presented within two years from the date of the commission of the offense.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 08/14/2011 - 14:52.

A 25 years old guy had sex with a 17 years old girl and her father took her to the Doctor and the is penetration, does the guy have a chance of winning the case?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 03/06/2009 - 11:53.

Ok so what can her parents do to me?? All we have done is kissed thats it.

Submitted by dunsailn on Fri, 03/06/2009 - 21:11.

It would not appear that any criminal sexual offense has been committed in this situation; so, from that stand point, there would likely be no arrest for a sexual offense. I suppose her parents could attempt to make your life miserable in any number of ways if they were so inclined. This would probably serve only to push their daughter away. We simply don't have any way of telling you what they might, or might not do.

Given that your girl friend is 17, almost 18, this is a significant age in Texas under the Juvenile Justice code.
The age of the child is significant because a seventeen-year-old who voluntarily leaves home without parental consent and without intending to return may not be taken into custody under the Juvenile Justice Code, Family Code title III. An unemancipated [FN2] seventeen-year-old is not a "child" within the Juvenile Justice Code. See Tex. Fam. Code Ann. s 51.02(2)(A)- (B) (Vernon 2004)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
More information about formatting options